mercredi 12 mars 2008

Would you use blogs in your classroom?

Personally, I would use it in a classroom environment to post homework for the students who are missing classes. However, it should not be an excuse to start missing classes. I would also use it for "last minute" comments or pieces of advice before to submit an essay. Would you use blogs in your classroom?

4 commentaires:

nancy a dit…

Hi MM,
I think using blogs in classrooms are a great idea! However, you're right about making sure your students do not take it as an excuse to skip class. You should have another rule to backup this avoidance of absences.
I think having your students communicate via a blog can be very interesting for many reasons! Go for it future teacher!

Marie-Michelle a dit…

One thing that I forgot to mention about the use of blogs in an academic context is the availability of teachers...I explain my point...Indeed, teachers can answer questions from home if they wish. Therefore, students are never lost or confused for a long period of time.

Sara Ann Sexton a dit…

Hey Marie-Michelle!
I think that using blogs in ESL classrooms is a great idea, but I also think that, before doing so, it is the teacher's duty to make sure that all students will have access to the blog, not only from school, but also from home. The reason why I say this, is because I come from a small town, and I don't have access to high speed Internet, therefore, trying to access a blog can be quite challenging...! In addition, the schools that I that attented as a student had only one small computer lab and not even enough computers for the whole class.
Now, I know that this is an exeception, but how would you remedy to this situation? Should teachers in small towns give up the idea of a class blog?

Marie-Michelle a dit…

Hey Sara-Ann!!!
Your posting is really relevant...since we are both from small towns. Since I would use my blog as an extra tool for students, I do not think we should avoid the use of it in an academic context. I would not ask the students to have their own blog, I do not think it is necessary. However, I agree with the fact that my blog would not be useful anymore if my students don't have access to my blog from home. You are right in that sense :)